Thursday, July 17, 2008

Stuffed Round Roast Au Jus

There's nothing in terms of spectacular history behind this, really, I mean, I just saw a pack of round roast at Costco and thought, "Hey, this is a pretty good deal for all the beef." I ended up buying it, but then I wasn't really sure what I should do with it, so I ended up coming up with this because I was hankering for something savory. Originally, I was thinking about slicing into smaller chunks, but it doesn't end up tasting as juicy and tender when you do that. This is probably like one of the most informal of all recipes considering I had no real idea what I was doing.

Ingredients:

1 round roast
small red potatoes
onion
mushrooms
celery
carrots
1 can beef stock
garlic salt
garlic
pepper
butter
rosemary

Cooking Instructions

1.) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F

2.) Slice the roast open down the middle and season with a little rosemary and pepper

3.) Mince the garlic, slice celery, carrots, mushroom, and onion and mix together in a bowl, apply garlic salt liberally

4.) Cut the potatoes into bite size pieces

5.) Put the roast in a deep roasting tray and stuff the slice with the veggie mix, fill the rest of the tray with the remaining veggies and the potatoes

6.) Sprinkle garlic salt and rosemary over the top

7.) Cut up some butter into chunks and place it throughout the tray

8.) Pour the beef stock over everything into the roasting tray

9.) Bake for 35-40 minutes or until meat is cooked to desired readiness

This is the reason I love beef, it's ok if it's not cooked all the way. Anyways, I've also done a pseudo steam roast where I covered the tray with foil while baking it and cut two slits into it. The long slit cut into the roast should help it cook through more thoroughly, and the butter and stock add some flavor in addition to the inherent beef flavor. Generally the baking should cook all of the veggies, but if you want to be safe, you can blanche them (or as I do it put them in a pot of water over a stove and pull them out as the water begins to boil, maybe that is blanching, I don't remember) prior to mixing them with the garlic salt. I always liked it, it's hearty and the sauce is good. Can't go wrong with beef stock and butter, seriously, you can't.