Monday, July 28, 2008

Fish Fry

So, there was this crazy deal at Costco where they were selling catfish for like $3.99 a pound, and I was like, "That's crazy!" Of course the catch was that I have only a week to eat all of it. So as a start, I tried this fish fry recipe that I threw together in my head and to my amazement, it turned out really, really good. I think it might be the catfish, but the batter was good as well, so all in all, it was a success. Maybe I should get some potatoes and do fish and chips next time.

Ingredients:

Fish (preferably smaller pieces or fillets, I recommend a white fish such as haddock, cod, catfish, or even maybe Dover sole)
flour
garlic salt (I used the Costco one with parsley flakes in it)
lemon pepper
egg

Cooking instructions:

1.) In a large wok or deep sauce pan pour oil in until it is about 1/2 full and heat at a medium-high to high heat

2.) Mix together the flour, garlic salt, and lemon pepper in a large mixing bowl, I leave you to determine how much you want, but be liberal with the garlic salt and lemon pepper, that's my recommendation

3.) In another bowl beat the egg(s) (again the number of eggs is determined by how much fish you want to fry, I've found that 1 egg should probably do like 3 fillets pretty well)

4.) Take the fillet and dip it in the egg so it is completely covered, then cover with the batter (flour) mixture (I may try to mix everything together and use it as a solid batter, but I don't think that would work as well)

5.) Put the battered fillet into the hot oil and fry for about 5 minutes

Since the fish are in fillet or smaller form they ought to cook pretty fast, if the fish is completely submerged in the oil it ought to cook that much faster. Afterward I like to liberally drizzle lemon juice over the fish after letting it sit for a little bit. I was somewhat surprised at how crisp the fish came out and pleasantly surprised at how tasty the batter was. I would've used some malt vinegar, but I didn't have any, otherwise I'd have used some cocktail sauce, didn't have any of that either. I ended up using corn salsa (kinda weird, yeah), but it was good, all in all though, it was actually really good even with just the fish on its own with lemon juice.

No comments: