Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Grilled Steak with a Red Wine Mushroom Sauce

I had to do a lot of makeshift changes with this, so I haven't "technically" tried this recipe yet. However, I basically made this a couple of times for myself and my roommate, and it's turned out fairly well. Usually, it's because I find some crazy beef deal at Safeway or something, yay for beef. As a note, the steak that you want to use should be of a flatter variety, I think I used a flank steak, but sirloin should work well as well, tri-tip I think is doable but probably a little harder to pull off. Anyways, you try out your own iterations and let me know how it turns out.

Ingredients:
steak (you pick which one)
Worchester sauce
lemon juice
Montreal steak seasoning
red wine (something fruity, of course I didn't have any so I used red wine vinegar, red cooking wine works as well)
sugar
butter
Italian seasoning
garlic salt
mushrooms
black pepper
olive oil

Cooking Instructions:

1.) In a bowl soak the steaks in Worchester sauce and lemon juice, coat with Montreal seasoning

2.) When ready, heat a pan to a medium/medium-high heat with olive oil

3.) Grill the steak on the pan, add Montreal seasoning if necessary

4.) When the steak has been cooked to order, remove onto a plate. I understand that sometimes, especially on a pan grilling, it's hard to tell if a steak is done enough, I like to apply some of the methods I use to cook fish, which is watch the sides of the meat, flip when the sides seem like their almost cooked, and then after a while, poke a hole in it and see if it bleeds, if it does leave it on for another 5 minutes. I think I cooked mine for about 15 minutes or so, of course the thickness of the steak determines the time too.

5.) Wash mushrooms and allow to soak in water. I've heard that soaking the mushrooms make them better to saute

6.) In a sauce pan, on a medium high heat, saute the mushrooms, add in butter and season with Italian seasoning and garlic salt

7.) When the mushrooms are soft add in wine (again I used red wine vinegar), and mix with sugar. When I made it the other night, I added some flour before the wine to make the mixture a little thicker. Make sure you don't add too much. Makes the butter clumpy.

8.) When the sauce has reduced to desired state, serve over steak

So, depending on the wine you use, it'll be differing amounts of sugar if any that need to be added. Since I used a wine vinegar, I added a fairly large amount of sugar as it's much more sour. The mushrooms should come out soft with a sweet and tangy touch to it, and the steaks should be slightly peppery, but mix well with the sauce. Hope this works for you! If you want the meat to be more tender, marinate in the lemon juice and Worchester sauce the night before.

1 comment:

James said...

Soaking the mushrooms? Where did you hear about that? That's news to me

Haha, I bought a 4-pack of merlot mini-bottles (they're perfect for cooking), and plus they don't have all those stupid preservatives and added salt like the cooking wines. Poured half a bottle with cremini mushrooms to make a relish, and with the pan drippings poured the other half of the bottle with lemon juice, heavy cream, and pepper to make a make-shift steak au poivre.

Worcestershire sauce eh? Gotta try that sometime, my bottle remains without some lovin'