Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Basalmic Bread Dip

So, I kind of picked this up from a restaurant in Seattle called Piatti, it was really good, and a it's a nice twist to the normal basalmic vinegar and olive oil dip. I think more people do this than I know of, but this is kind of an easy way to do it yourself.

Ingredients:

basalmic vinegar (as a note, the more expensive or higher quality the vinegar the less sour it is)
olive oil
crushed red peppers
Italian seasoning (basil, oregano, thyme)
black pepper

Directions:

Mix and serve with bread

So the key is that you need to have good bread to go with this. Of course, don't make it too sour, so I'd recommend a better brand than the cheapest vinegar you can find in your local supermarket. The Costco ones (I think like Basalmic Vinegar of Modena or something) are actually quite nice. I recommend a good sourdough or Italian loaf for if you make this. This is ideal for artisan breads, where I would back for maybe 5 minutes at 350 degrees or 1-2 minutes under the broiler. This makes the bread crispy on the crust, but also warm and chewing on the inside, allowing it to soak up the basalmic. I prefer this to the standard bread and butter, and actually even to garlic bread.

1 comment:

James said...

Awwww, no double bowl method? :)