Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Italian Nachos

I really didn't have a better name for this than Italian Nachos so that's what I called it, basically because it was inspired by the idea of normal (Mexican) nachos. It takes the idea of nachos, or chips and salsa, or x-number layered dip and transforms it by using Italian ingredients. I think it's kind of like bruschetta, but not really, I made it for a party once and the people liked it, so if I ever get the opportunity, maybe I'll make it again.

Ingredients:
Club crackers
2 cans of diced tomatoes
pepperoni
green bell peppers
onion
mushroom
mozarella cheese
Italian seasoning
salt
pepper

1.) Stew the tomatoes, begin by seasoning them with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and anything else you find to your liking.

2.) Dice all other ingredients, basically it can be anything that you would normally put on a pizza, the above listed are just my recommendations.

3.) When the tomatoes become more sauce like and start excreting more liquid, add the other ingredients.

4.) Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F (maybe this can happen first)

5.) Put the "sauce" into a deep baking/roasting tray (it's like salsa)

6.) Cover the top with mozarella cheese

7.) Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted

How to eat:
So since some people may not be familiar with it, basically, it's the equivalent of Italian salsa, the difference being that it's more of a savory flavor than spicy. Normally for nachos you'd include the chips in with the dip sometimes, but since we're using club crackers you don't want them to get too soggy. When it's done, you basically scoop up the "salsa" with a club cracker and enjoy, use a spoon if the stuff is too chunky (heavy to be scooped by a club cracker). I really loved this stuff, and it's a lot easier than bruschetta.

1 comment:

James said...

Hey, that's like Italian Dip, I like the nachos sensibility

Are you making these? Post pics up dude! I like see those powers